Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools

So in case you missed it, I'm neither engaged nor married. It was an April Fools joke. Why start so early and go so all out? Because no one believes you when you change your relationship status 2 days before April 1st. I figured if I was going to pull a prank I might as well go all out. Many thanks to my immediate family for going with it. They didn't want to, but they lied for me. As well as: the 232nd ward, Aubrey, Katie, Sarah, Pam, many members of the 233rd ward, my cousin Emma and especially Richard and Jay for being in the pictures with me. Couldn't have done it without you.

4/1/12
Glad it's over. Love you all. Thanks for believing me and being happy for me. I'll understand if you don't get excited for me when it really happens, since you already went to the trouble with this one. But I promise to never lie/joke about my relationship status. Don't hate me for too long, it was after all a joke. THe whole point was to fool people, thus "April Fools".
So in case you care, this is how I felt during the whole thing.
A log of my April Fools joke
3/8/12
Today is day 3 of my prank for April Fools. I've been very surprised by the whole thing. I knew people would be excited but I didn't really understand how much. So far it's been hilarious and stressful and I've felt awful. I'm no good at lying. Especially face to face. But today I have just felt so loved. My boss from when I worked at BYU-I text me and asked me why I hadn't told him personally. He said, "I don't know if I approve" like I need his approval, but still . . . love it.
The people calling me and offering to help are so great, it makes me feel bad that it's not for real. Another favorite comment I've gotten is my basketball coach from high school "Congrats Cathy! We're super excited for you ... does he need a talk from your bb coach to make sure he knows he's the luckiest man alive?" Seriously I almost cried over that one.
I really hope people just take this for what it is: A very elaborate prank. I don't mean to make anyone mad or hurt their feelings. Obviously it's a lie, but it's not a lie I want people to believe forever. Maybe that's me justifying, but really I think it's so funny.
Another comment my sister got about it was "Never thought that'd happen". Real nice. Thanks for that one. I'll not name who actually said it, but still, thanks for the vote of confidence.
So I hope everyone will forgive me. Laugh it off. And I promise to never lie about my relationship status ever again.

3/9/12

I feel better today. Maybe it's because I haven't lied to anyone today. :) It's back to being funny again. Now my issue is trying to figure out how to play it up without over or under doing it. I'm sure most people think it's ridiculous and that we'll cancel it. Maybe I'd feel the same way.

3/12/12

So yesterday was "engagement pictures". How ridiculous can I be? Apparently very. :) My friend's brother was going to come and do them and at the last minute, I mean the very last, he bailed. (Aubrey called to see where he was and he said sorry, not coming). Helpful. So she called her friend Jay who said yes and came over 2 minutes later. I had met Jay twice before. It was so ridiculous taking pictures, but we had loads of fun. Jay was a great sport about the whole thing.
I have decided to tell my ward because it's just too hard to lie to people face to face. Sadly I missed telling the truth to one girl who I had already told I was getting married and she told her roommate who announced it at ward council. Oops. The Relief Society president talked to the bishop and told him what's up so now I just have to deal with those people who were at ward council. Too funny. This whole thing just makes me laugh.

3/13/12
So obviously there are people who know that this is a joke. My ward, my immediate family, and some friends who live here in Provo that I hang out with all the time who would never believe me. I LOVE that they go along with it. Be Jordan's friend on facebook, comment on his facebook, comment on our pictures, it seriously cracks me up. Wow I think I'm so funny. Don't hate me.

Something funny that keeps coming up: "What if you and Jay really got married?" That would be hilarious! Such a great story and I bet you all would be more forgiving of my deception. :) Jay is great. I still don't know him at all, but anyone who is willing to come be in some fake engagements, on short notice, with a girl he barely knows gets points in my book.

3/14/12
Sometimes I think maybe everyone knows and they have all conspired against me. They are going to make me really work for it and make me feel as guilty as possible and that will be their joke on me. If that's the case, I think it's working. Probably, I'm just paranoid.
3/16/12
Remember how I still do fun things with my friends but I can't talk about it because I should be doing fun things with Jordan? Yeah, that's a lame consequence of lying. How do liars live this way? I do not like it. So last night I was hanging out with Aubrey and we were kinda bored and so we went to the movies. Well we went to the movie theater, we didn't actually see a movie. Her friend was at the movies, by himself, so we went and painted the windows on his car with hearts and stuff. Ridiculous. Best part is the text she got. "Aubrey you are so dead". lol. THEN her backdoor neighbor is one of those people who I am just really sarcastic and kind of snarky with. I don't know what it is. There are just a couple people who really bring that out in me. Anyway he really hates Monday's. Aubrey has been sending him "inspirational" (shall we call them?) things all week. Last night, we went and painted his car as well with TGIF. Man we think we're so funny and clever. Good times.
3/19/12
The big Stake Spring Fling was this last weekend. It was a BLAST! It was fun to put on a big poofy dress and go dance around like a fool. Earlier in the day I went to lunch with Denae and her brother Garet. That was fun. I was sure that by the end of lunch the truth would be told, but it never happened. I thought about it, but I guess my conscience is disappearing or something.
The dance was good, except for the prick of guilt (guess I do still have it) that came when my friend Aaron, who I grew up with, came and congratulated me. Oh man. Other than that, it was delightful. People just ask me how my "engagement" is going since they all know I'm a big liar face. They are anxious to see how the hate mail pours in. Remember people, this is a JOKE. A very extended, elaborate, JOKE. Not lies. Jokes. right. . . jokes. keep telling yourself that Cathy.
9:30 p.m. I wish I had a real Jordan Bateman. :(
3/21/12
The countdown has officially begun. I know people are always anxious and counting down until they get married and I'm counting down as well, until I'm unengaged. 1 and half weeks and the jig will be up. Cat out of the bag. Beans spilled. I can't wait!
3/23/12
When someone asks you what your fiance's name is and you go J....... Jordan because you have to think about it and almost say Jay instead, you know that lying just isn't your thing.
3/26/12
The final week. I am so SO excited. I actually hung out with Jay last night and today we became facebook friends. I wanted him to be able to see all that happens this weekend.
3/28/12
This last week is going by faster than I thought it would. I'm just so excited to see what happens and for the whole thing to be over. I think i'll never do an April Fools joke again.
3/29/12
I may or may not have been freaking out a bit last night when my sister called and during the conversation I found out she didn't know where the pictures were. YIKES! The engagement thing is a set-up for the real joke which is me getting married. Without the pictures it kind of wouldn't work. My whole joke and a month of lying gone. Luckily she found the pictures today. :) 3 days. 3 more days.

3/30/12

Happy fake wedding day to me!! My favorite was actually telling someone in person that i got married this morning and seeing their reaction. If I could just replay it over and over. Priceless.

6 comments:

  1. You, Cathy Schultz, are such a sneaky little devil. Now I get it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was so ridiculously happy for you when I read that you were engaged. and frankly, i thought eloping to the temple was the coolest thing i'd ever heard lol. knowing it was all a joke makes it even better. best april fools ever. well done cathy dear :)

    oh, and when that very special young man does get down on one knee, i want to know! no one deserves happiness more than you. love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great joke!! You are sneaky!! I was also happy when I read you were engaged and when I saw the pictures of the temple, my first thought was wait a minute that was a quick engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered if it was a joke because you seemed too casual about something that I know you are very excited about...getting married! Plus, I hope you will call me and tell me about this lucky boy when the dating and engagement process begins. Love you Cathy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM LEFT WITHOUT WORDS, EXCEPT TO SAY THAT YOU ARE VERY BRAVE TO BE ABLE TO PULL THIS ONE THROUGH :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAAAHHHHHH! You got me! And you got me good. That is the worst April Fools that has been played on me.

    ReplyDelete