Friday, March 23, 2012

Hunger Games

I jumped on it. The Hunger Games bandwagon. I was hesitant to read them, but then loved them. And I was excited for the movie, so when my friend invited me to the midnight showing I gave in. BAD DECISION! Holy moly. Midnight showings are highly over-rated. It is an experience I will never have again. I kind of want to die a little a lot today. I just went and took a nap in my car for an hour. I am feeling better, but MAN, it's not fun. Maybe if I was 10 years younger . . .
I took my camera, but did it leave my purse? Nope. I fail. Oops. All the midnight madness and no documentation.
The movie itself was okay. My biggest complaint is the cinematography. Hold the camera still! It's not artistic to bounce us all over the place, it's nauseating. I was glad we didn't sit any closer than we were or I would have been in big trouble. If you've seen it you know what I mean. If you haven't, think Bourne Identity 2 (or maybe it was 3) blek.
With it being rate PG-13 I expected more blood. It is a book about killing. The swearing was minimal, a couple hell's and damn's. If there was a rating between PG and PG-13, I think it would have gone in that slot. I'm really not one for blood and gore, but I thought it could have used a bit more.
Next, it was kind of long. 2.5 hours! Maybe it was the fact that it started at midnight, but I was done at 2 hours.
I thought it followed the book decently well. The things that were added didn't drive me crazy like some other book to movie adaptations I've seen. I thought the acting was good. Loved Cinna, Caesar Flickerman, and thought little Prim did a great job. I may or may not have shed a few tears when Rue died.

They didn't play up the love story like I would have liked. I thought Peeta's entire roll in the movie was underplayed and if I hadn't read the books I would have been completely lost as to what was going on. In my opinion they shouldn't have left out so much with Peeta. It'll be interesting to see how they make things work in the next movie.
All in all I give it 3 out of 5 stars. The imagination is always better than the movie, but they did a decent job (minus the camera work). I'd see it again in the cheap theater, but I don't think I'll be adding it to my DVD library.


No comments:

Post a Comment