Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Happy Birthday

Once upon a time, 26 years ago, there was a little boy born.
He had an older sister, she was just 14 months older than him and they were the best of friends. A little brother. A built in buddy to play with and get into trouble with and to love.
As time went by, more little people joined the family and as always happens with time, things changed.
Kids like to fight and teenagers are moody and just over 13 years from when the boy joined the family, the last thing the girl ever said to him was, "I hate you". Now this sounds worse than it actually is. She had made cookies and they weren't turning out so she was abandoning them and the boy took over and they turned out just fine for him, thus the "I hate you" comment. It was said as a joke, but still it's the last thing that was said. Oh the things I would change if I could. What an awful June morning, when we lost my brother Brad.
Now it's 13 years later and I don't know why, but this year I'm really struggling. I haven't ever had a hard time on his birthday or the day he died. I'm not sure why this year is different. Maybe it's the fact that this year is the year he's been gone as long as he was here. I don't know, but what I do know is that I really miss him. I was running the other day and was thinking about what a kind and soft heart he had. He really loved people. I wonder who he would have become and what he'd be doing now. I'm really grateful to know that God has a plan and that my family has been sealed in God's holy temple so I know I'll see him again and that he is in a better place doing an important work.
Happy Birthday Brad. I love you and miss you.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been 13 years already, but you know what? I think about him every June and wonder how you're doing... It's been that way for years. I remember coming home that night when I heard the news and being so shocked that I cried. I came back to Sugar City 2 weeks later to go to girls camp with you. You seemed okay on the outside, but I wanted so badly to squeeze all the hurt out of you. He knows you loved him, and it will be a happy reunion when you get to see him again. Love you Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you so much love today.

    ReplyDelete