Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thank you Mr. Gardener

I've been thinking a lot about how things work out in life. I know God knows all, has a plan for each of us, and is in control, but sometimes I just can't seem to follow. I know I'm not suppose to, but if I could just find a little pattern and be able to follow it, I might do a better job on my journey through life. Yeah, probably not, but it was a nice thought.
Today, besides being Pioneer Day, is the one year anniversary of my friends Denae and David. I actually wrote about them in my second ever post entitled Miracles. I introduced them and the rest is a long sappy "Love" story. When they first got engaged there was a facebook battle of who got what percent of the credit. I of course wanted to take 100%, but gradually gave percentages away as people made their arguments. I started thinking about it and in the end it was easier just to give God all the credit. I looked at all the people who really did play a part in it, how they had lived their lives, choices they had made, and it was just ridiculous to me how that one thing of them meeting and falling in love, could be so complicated. Just looking at my life decisions and how it connected me to the two of them was complicated enough.

I think so many times in life, it's just so hard for me to accept something, when I can't see the reason why. I know God is doing what's best for me, but I guess my faith hasn't quite reached the point where I can just take it and go and not ask why. Today in Relief Society this was brought up again to me with the story of President Hugh B. Brown and the currant bush. The currant bush is over grown and not producing any fruit, so President Brown pruned it back. He saw a drop like a tear on the top of each stump, as if the currant bush were crying, and thought he heard it say:
"How could you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth. . . . And now you have cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me . . . How could you do this to me? I though you were the gardener here."
President Brown replied, "Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn't intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, 'Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.'" For the rest of the talk click here.
How many times have I been the currant bush. Thinking I know everything and asking why the Lord would cut me down, when in reality He knows so much better than I do. He is preparing great things for me in my life and in the lives of others.
The words random and coincidence often come out of our mouths, and maybe somethings are random or just a coincidence and nothing will ever come of them, but maybe God is preparing a masterpiece we can't even imagine.
So for today I say "Thank you Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.

1 comment: