Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Best Calling Ever!!

As I have mentioned before, I am the compassionate service coordinator in my ward. I really like this calling! I've found it to be a little bit tricky in a single's ward. There aren't people having babies, people having hospital stays or funerals to help with. I wrote about service "without the casserole" in this post here if you want to read it.
This time it was different and there actually was a "casserole" so to speak. I've been trying to think of something to do for the girls on their birthdays. I tend to think big when I should be thinking much smaller so I asked my roommates. Megan was inspired when she said, "Maybe just a cupcake?" So that's what I did.
When my May challenge of no treats was finally over I made a bunch of cupcakes. Now they are NOTHING fancy. Not even close. They're from a box, frosting from the store and some sprinkles. I did try to make them cute with the packaging. I got the idea on pinterest and set to work to find some cute cellophane bags. GO TO THE DOLLAR STORE!!! I went to craft stores and Wal-Mart and they had NOTHING!! The dollar store (Honks) was a success. I spent last night frosting cupcakes and then wrapping them up.
I should have taken a close up of one of them. Maybe I'll do that tonight when I get home. But here is what my counter looked like when I was all finished. Then it was time to deliver them. Who knew that a cupcake could bring so much happiness!? I did cupcakes for May and June birthdays so some of them were a bit late and others were early. One girl, whose birthday was May 7 was so HAPPY! She said I made her night! There were similar reactions throughout the night. By the time I was done I was feeling really happy too! I finished up the night with a run (2 a day runs. Gross) and then watched the end of Goofy Movie with some friends. I need to find some more service to do! My calling is the best ever!! I get to do nice things for people and feel great and the girls get a little boost in their day as well. Hurray for service!!

1 comment:

  1. I have always said that I think this is the best calling in the church. It's like you are called to be the charitable Christian we are all supposed to be anyway. I have often thought that I would love to divert the time I was spending in some callings to actually getting out and serving people. I have always given out the same suggestion to everyone I know who has received this calling. Beginning of winter, buy a case of chicken noodle soup and keep some bottles of Orange Juices on hand (vitamin C) to take to members as they come down with colds and flues. Have a great time with this one.

    ReplyDelete