Friday, June 15, 2012

No bueno

There are some things in life that are just no bueno. Passing out is one of them. I've had quite a few experiences in my life with passing out. None of them have been positive. I do have a pretty good embarrassing story out of one of them, but it's really just no fun.
Yesterday was a close call. I went to plasma and they stuck my arm. It hurt like crazy and it wasn't flowing. They moved it around a bit and then decided that it wasn't going to work so they pulled it out. They gave me the option to try in my left arm. I should have just said no. They've tried once before with no luck, but I figured if it worked then I'd have two arms to donate with instead of always going with my right. She found a vein and it was going decently, but not great. It took forever and then on the 3rd return the machine just shut off. Lame. She played with it and got me most of my blood back, but I could do the last draw or get the return with the saline. Luckily since she got me most of my blood back I don't have to be deferred, but I left with two wrapped arms and missing a bit of blood.
I got home and started making dinner. It was hot over the stove and as I was just finishing up when I felt it. The no good, you're in big trouble lay down now, feeling. So I did. I tried to get a drink but knew I wouldn't make it. So there I am laying on the kitchen floor with my food burning on the stove. I called up to my roommate to please come turn off the stove and then I just stayed there on the floor for 10 minutes. Kinda freaked my roommate out when she came down and saw me on the floor, but I was okay. I didn't actually pass out, but I still got the cold sweat that comes with it. Gross. Once I felt a bit better I got up, finished my dinner and had a lovely evening.
Basically what I'm trying to tell you is if you can, AVOID PASSING OUT at all costs. It's really awful. Having a slight lack of blood mixed with being super hot is a bad combination. I'm just glad I was at home and that no embarrassing stories will come from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment