Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sometimes you need a hug

I'm not quite sure why I was thinking of this. I'm not feeling especially sad or anything, but none the less I was pondering hugs. I heard some statistic that you need to be touched 7 times a day or something like that. True? False? I don't know, but I believe that physical touch can be good for your health. A comforting hand on your shoulder, a hand to hold, a hug, a kiss. I'm telling you, it's good for ya. And sometimes there are only certain people that can fill the ache of the day.
I find it interesting that when a girl is crying the thing she wants most is to be held, usually by a guy (at least that's true for me) and that one of the things that scares a guy the most is a crying girl. Cracks me up. I realize that all guys are different and handle it differently but I'm generalizing here. In college I had a couple guy friends from work. The one told me straight up he did not like crying girls. One day I asked him what he'd do if I showed up at his doorstep crying. He thought about it a minute, said he'd give me a hug and hope I stopped soon. HA. At least he'd try.
In my life when I'm really sad and just want someone to give me a hug and make me feel better, I always think of Leandro as my first source of comfort. Interesting enough he was roommates with Kevin and the night that I was so ridiculously sad and just needed a hug I went to their apartment and asked for Leandro. Good choice. He just held me there on the doorstep and waited for me to calm down, asked if I was okay and then walked me home. I wish he didn't live so far away. Since he lives so far away my second thought is Aldo. I worked with him for a couple months and although he's a bit rough around the edges, he's a big softy. I remember when I was having a really awful day he offered a hug, turned out that that just triggered the crying, but it just felt so good to be held and feel safe and loved. I'm pretty sure that's how it will feel when the Savior wraps his arms around me. Safe and loved. I know I've felt it spiritually but sometimes it's just nice to feel it physically.
I can think of a couple more people who have filled that void when I needed it and I can think of at least one who would do it if he was here. I'm not saying I need a hug right now, I'm actually in a really good place. I just love to be hugged and it's just that much better when it's a guy. One day I'll have a permanent go to guy for things like this. Until then I'll just keep waiting for my perfect doughnut. Love it. And those are my thoughts. The end.

1 comment: