Sunday, May 22, 2011

A life of service

Today in sacrament meeting the talks were on service. The third speaker is leaving on a mission in a couple of weeks and compared our lives to a full-time mission. In essence we all came to earth on a mission, to obtain a body, learn and grow, and ultimately return to live with out Heavenly Father. I felt like throughout all of church, service was brought up again and again. Tee one speaker said he was asked to speak 3 times and all 3 were on service so he must not be very good at it yet. I feel like I probably fall into that category. We talk about service a lot but do we actually go out and do anything about it. Sure there is the ward service project, the random small acts of service, like making your roommates bed or picking up someones dropped book, but how am I actively serving? Am I just sitting around waiting to be acted upon? The challenge given today was to plan a service activity once a week. Don't just wait for it to happen. So now I feel that I need to follow the many examples that I have in my life, the many talks that have been given, and really look for, plan and carry out acts of service. I'm open to suggestions, invitations and company. I know that service brings great blessings to not only the people being served, but to myself as the provider of service. Call me selfish if you will, but it seems to me to be a win win situation and this is a challenge that I am prepared to take.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way too quite a bit. It's tough when you have kids to drag along, but you still want to get out there and make a difference for SOMEBODY. That's why we try to sign up to clean the church whenever we can so we feel like we're at least giving SOMETHING back. But I often think of making dinner for one of my new neighbors cause she works a lot and I'm sure she hates thinking of cooking when it's late. I'd like to shoot for a service project at least once a month, but once a week is awesome! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete