Sunday, May 15, 2011

The "Big Run"

All right, for most of my life I have been a hater of running. As a child, the mile run day in elementary school was a dreaded day. The only reason I did even reasonably good was that dad always came and ran with us. It didn't really get better as I got older. It wasn't until college that I could at least tolerate running and do it of my own choice. It's actually my preferred way of working out now. It's the one thing I can do that at the end I actually feel like I've worked out. It provides a good feeling of accomplishment, since the mission I actually even enjoy it. So I made a bucket list this year and I'm not sure why, but I put run a half marathon on the list. I decided that I had to start somewhere at that a 5k was a good place. So yesterday I ran one! I've been running 3 times a week and felt pretty prepared. I actually had two friends come a run the race with me. My old roommate,Emma, on the right and my companion from the mission, Denae, on the left.


So obviously these are pre-run pictures. Thanks Emma for getting me these pictures.


And here are the end and post-run pictures. Thanks David.

Emma was off like a shot and Denae and I ran the race together. I finished it and didn't even come in last. I've got plans to run a 10k next month with my dad, sister and Emma,and then a 5k for July, August, and September. I'm pretty sure the half marathon will have to wait until next year, but at least I'm on the right track.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go girl! I STILL hate running to this day, but when you mentioned the mile-run in elementary school I SO remember your dad running with us. I even remember him telling me to pick up my legs more so I could run faster... and then I glared at him... ;) Keep it up! I'm sure your Dad is super proud of you.

    ReplyDelete