Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sometimes I run 19.28 miles

But let's be honest here. I've only done that one time and that was this morning. Marathon countdown is 3 weeks from today. Today was my last long run before the race. Nothing more than 10 in my future for a while. I had great plans. I'd get up and run at 6. That would give me time to get out run before it got hot and be back to take a package to the UPS store by 10:30 to mail to my sister in the MTC.
All my plans went down the drain when I woke up at 5:30 to thunder and lightening and pouring rain. I got up and watched it for about 15 minutes, reset my alarm for 6:30 and went back to bed. Luckily it had stopped raining and I was out the door and running at 6:50. First 6.3 miles were great. Second 6.3 miles weren't bad, but the hour was getting late and I didn't think I'd have time to make it to 20 miles like I had planned AND make it to the UPS store. After the 2nd 6.3 ish miles I stopped at home and got the package and keys all ready. Took me about 7 minutes. Then I went out to finish the running. It was 9:10. At about mile 14 it started to thunder and lightening and I kept praying as I ran that I wouldn't get struck by lightening. Then at about mile 15 or so, the lightening stopped and the rain started. I kept trying to think how I could do my run so that I'd at least get 18 miles and still make it to mail the package. Time was getting short (too bad I can't just run faster, THAT definitely wouldn't work for me). I couldn't really figure out how to do it so I just ran some and hoped it would be good. I ran the final stretch to my house, hurried inside to grab the box and my keys and then back to my car. As I was getting into my car my right foot started cramping. I pulled my shoe off and rubbed it a bit and then headed to the UPS store. It was 10:18. Of course since I was in a hurry I got behind every slow car there was. If I managed to change lanes to get around them, some other dumb car would cut in front of me. I was not a happy camper. I finally made it the store and headed in. Let me remind you, I had just run a very long way, I was hot and sweaty and wet and very smelly. I also only had one shoe on. Don't worry I had my roommate take a picture when I got home so you could see just how lovely I was looking.
This is with my hair not so wet and the sweat marks dried a bit. It was real bad.
I got there at 10:30 and luckily they hadn't sent the shipment out yet. They told me I had to write my name, address and phone number on a piece of paper. I got my name okay, but I struggled with my address and phone number. My brain just wasn't really firing on all cylinders. The man said, oh it's okay, it's early. Early definitely wasn't my problem. At least I had put my other shoe on by that time. At any rate, the package made it and I watched them load it into the van to be delivered. I did eventually get my phone number and address written down. I then went outside and stretched for a while. AND I went to the store. Lucky for me I didn't see anyone I knew.I called my dad and told him my story. He got a pretty good laugh out of it. I've done nothing for the rest of the day. I tried to take a nap, but that didn't work. Maybe I'll be a productive human being, but I'm betting it won't happen. Good thing I don't often run that far, I'd be completely worthless.

1 comment:

  1. Cathy, you are so OSOM (that's runner-speak for awesome, btw)! I ran 19 last weekend and 2o yesterday. Let me tell you, 19 is truly almost 20 miles, and either one is a long, LONG way to run. So excited to read about your race. Try to make your shorter runs now a little faster than before - it'll help on race day.

    ReplyDelete