Thursday, October 27, 2011

My life is not a movie

As much as I sometimes wish it was, my life is not a movie. There is no background music with mighty swells indicating great things are about to happen, danger music or intensity increasing chords. No conflict resolution in two hours. Nothin'. Maybe I should just stop watching movies and reading books. They give me a skewed expectation for reality.
All kidding aside I really do think they skew my expectations. I'm working on it. I talk myself through things, telling myself that these things are normal. All guys are not the sweetest, most thoughtful people ever and they aren't all dirt bags. There's a mix I suppose. Hopefully more in the middle. But as I've pondered my life not being a movie, there are a few things that I'd really like to have happen in my life that are "movie moments". At least in my book.

Random texts. Pretty simple. I find that most guys are pretty good at this one. It just lets me know they were thinking of me. I don't need words of affirmation every second of every day, but once in a while it's nice to know they're thinking of you.

I want him to show up and surprise me when I think he won't be able to come. (being friends with at least one of my friends would be conducive to this happening).

I want one of those airport scenes. The running, the hugging, the kissing. It does not necessarily have to happen in an airport.

The next one, I'm not sure is really a movie moment, but I want him to come up behind me while I'm doing the dishes or cooking or something and just wrap his arms around me. I believe my friend Katie called this the embrace from behind. So cute.

Next one, super cheesy, and not really necessary. Singing, reciting poetry and the like. The "movie moment" I think of is from Freaky Friday when Chad Michael Murray is singing Britney Spears to the mom outside their house. Really awful, really cute. Watch it here.

I may have to come back to this because I thought of a lot more last night laying in bed and now I'm completely blank. Anyway, I'll accept that my life is not a movie, but that it's still great and that I'll have my own cute little fairy tale better than any movie. someday. In the meantime, I'll keep waiting for the perfect doughnut.

p.s. I'm perfectly happy waiting until I'm married and then making him do these things, but if they happen before, I'm okay with that. ;)

I remembered one. Flowers. For no reason at all. My cousin brought me a single rose last night and I could have floated to the moon. And that was from my cousin!!! Imagine if I wasn't related. Better tether me to something.

3 comments: