Thursday, October 13, 2011

Moving Forward

I really like institute. It's a good pick-me-up for the middle of the week. The teacher is great and I always have a nice time. I still don't know many people in my ward and it's a Stake Institute and it's ENORMOUS. Seriously we have the largest institute in Utah County. There are 4 different classes offered and they are all full every week. These are big lecture halls at BYU we're talking about. There are lots of people. I being the not so "social butterfly" that I am usually grab by refreshment and head for the door, avoiding awkwardly standing around.
Last night before institute I had an interview with the bishop. I'm new in the ward so it was a get to know you kind of thing. No calling to report yet. Anyway it was good to chat with the bishop. He's from Scotland and every once in a while you can hear his accent. It's awesome. Anyway that doesn't have anything to do with anything. At the end of the interview he said that it looked like I was doing well and moving forward. Then he talked about a scripture found in James 3:4 and Doctrine and Covenants 123:16. It's talks about a small helm stearing a big ship. He pointed out that the ship actually has to be moving forward for the helm to be able to do anything. If it's just sitting in the water you can move the helm all you want but you're not going to go anywhere. When we are moving forward in life, that is when the Lord can turn us in the direction we need to go. Loved it.
After the interview I headed to institute, even though I was about 20 minutes late. Lots of people come in late. No big. I enjoyed the class and afterward was the first one in line for refreshments. Don't judge. Instead of taking them and running I actually stood around and ate my delicious donut. I had one rather large bite left and shoved the whole thing in my mouth. Of course at that moment a really cute guy walked up and asked how I was doing. Awesome. Mouth full of donut, I stood there chewing until I could respond. Even better that it was a huge bite and it took forever for me to chew. ( I would also like to throw in that I left my house in a hurry to make it to see the bishop. No brushing of teeth before I left, or the fixing of my hair. Who knows what my make-up looked like by that time.) Anyway, the guy was really nice and we talked for maybe 10 minutes. What the heck? This never happens to me. And here's the best part, are your ready for this? He asked for my phone number!!! I of course, gave it to him. He walked away and I left. Pulling out my phone and calling my sister ASAP to have someone rejoice with me. Silly sister didn't answer, but Sarah provided the excitement and enthusiasm I required. Now if he only calls . . . pray for me.

2 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!!! I loved that cool lesson from your bishop and how you put it into practice and BAM! Awesomeness. :)

    ReplyDelete