Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Friends who DO stuff

Life changes. When that happens, you have to change with it. Sitting back and complaining about it really doesn't do anything but make you more upset about the situation. When I saw friendships in my life changing, it was sad. I definitely moped about it for longer than needed, but then I thought to myself "Cathy, you have loads of friends. Your problem is that you don't DO anything with them". That's one thing I really want out of friendships in life. I want to actually DO stuff. Not just say hi when I see you at church. (I do have other friends, with whom I do things, as seen in Cowboy month with Denae, Camille and Sarah. Thank goodness for mission friends.) ANYWAY instead of just waiting for some friend to decide they wanted to do something with me, I took some initiative, looked at all my friends and decided to ask them to DO something.
You may remember my post Cowboy Month begins. That was my first attempt to consciously initiate DOing something with a friend. Deb is a girl in my ward who I just adore. She is incredible. I invited her to be my "date" to see Juanito Bandito with Denae and David. We had a lovely time.
And guess what!? Deb invited me to go rafting this last weekend!
My one step out of my comfort zone has turned into "Friends who DO things" and I love it. We really had a great time. Made a few more friends and strengthened my testimony of acting instead of waiting to be acted upon. I may not have succeeded in my marathon training or my ride a horse for cowboy month goal, but I had a great time with great people and that is worth the 8 or so other things I had to forgo for the weekend. It was awesome!
Getting ready to hit the river


That's right. We're friends who do things.

Who knew that Wyoming could actually be beautiful?
So the July challenge (which we have established wasn't really a challenge at all) wasn't quite up to par since I missed riding the horse, but it was still fun. Kevin took me out shooting and that was really fun.



I shot four different guns and it wasn't as awful as I imagined it was going to be. I don't know why I thought it would be super awful . . . but now I don't. 
August will be a real challenge. I'll probably post on here a bit more since facebook is off limits and I'll be bored out of my mind. It will be good for me I suppose, but I'm already dreading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment