Sunday, June 12, 2011

Teton Dam Marathon

So I've done the 5k, I've done the 5k in the mud, this week was the 10k. 6.2 miles. that's a long way. Wednesday I ran 6.05 miles in Provo, just to see if I could do it. I ran it in 1 hour and 11 minutes. I was happy with it. My hips were pretty sore the next day, but I wasn't dying. Friday I headed home. I'm never driving through Preston ever again. Freaking speed trap. My first speeding ticket. Lame. Other than that it was a very nice drive.
Saturday morning I got up and headed into Rexburg with my dad and my sister, ready as I would ever be to run the 10k in the Dam Marathon.

I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with my dad and my sister. My dad can do 6 miles in 45 minutes. :/ So I started out at my pace and I kept it for 2 miles and then the beginning of the hills.

I'm smiling now because I'm just turning into the hills.
KILLER hills. You see and think "Okay I can make it up this" and then you do only to see the next big hill. Again "I can do this" only to see ANOTHER BIGGER HILL. It was not fun. So many hills. I walked a lot more in this race than my practice run in Provo (relatively flat in comparison), but I kept going and going and going. Finally I made it to the last mile which was mostly down hill. I made it to the last quarter of a mile and there was my dad waiting to run with me. I turned the corner (it's no longer downhill and it is NOT fun) and now my sister is running with us too and now it's time to sprint to the finish.


I didn't have much left. I was totally drained. I felt like crap for the rest of the day, but I did better on my time, even with the longer (.15 miles) run, the crappy hills and more walking. Not much fast but considering the changes I was proud of myself.
My dad got third place in his age group. Go dad! And we had the best Dam fans ever!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you - really truly! Okay, so call it preg hormones or whatever you like but I teared up when I read that your dad (and sis but mainly dad) came to run with you. Made me think back to the good ole mile run days in Elementary. So sweet. Don't worry, the moment didn't last too long thanks to Taylynn calling me in because she painted her leg in yogurt. :o)

    ReplyDelete