Friday, May 10, 2013

Lord, I believe

I'm sure this will be a jumble of thoughts.

Wednesday in Institute we studied Elder Hollands talk from this past April Conference titled Lord, I Believe. You can read or listen to it here.
The teacher had us think about the mountains in our lives that we have to climb or "move", the faith it takes to do so, and the things that get in our way. Elder Holland talks about not leading with our unbelief. Don't focus on what you don't have or what you can't do. Look at what you have and start there.
The application I took out of this was attitude. My attitude. How do I see my situation? How do I see the people around me? Where is my focus?
At Institute I was thinking I didn't really even have mountains. Duh we all have mountains. God will humble you and help give you clarity. He's very considerate that way. As I have thought about my attitude and how it can lift me up or bring me down, I've been trying to be more positive, both about my situations and about the people around me. This has proven to be very difficult and I'm definitely being put to the test and sad to say, I've found myself trying to justify it.
My friend posted this video on facebook last night. Just when I was beating myself up a little for having failed in loving a certain person and it really helped me recommit. It's up to me. I choose how to react and although it's difficult and can feel like my situation controls my emotions, it's really me and I can pray for help. I can take where I am and move forward.
There are always at least two ways to see people and situations. It's up to me what I choose. I can let them bug me and hate them and be miserable, or I can remember that they are a child of God and I have no control over how they act or what they do and that's okay.I can see my situation acting on me or I can see it as an opportunity to trust God and act and see what I can learn and how I can grow.
I just have to keep smiling, keep praying, and keep using the faith I do have to move forward.
Lord, I believe. 

1 comment: