Friday, August 26, 2011

Guatemala Part Dos

The second night in Panajachel we stayed in a Japanese Hostel. One nice thing about these hostels is that most of them had internet. Very important. Sunday morning we were up early and headed into town to church. The NGO we were looking at was founded my LDS members from Virginia and the coordinator, Joel, lives in Draper and comes down two weeks a month. He met up with us at church. After sacrament meeting Joel took us to see Casa de Sion. They have a feeding and education program working with the kids in the surrounding area. They also have a clinic that is used when medical teams come in.



After the tour (and a delicious Millet Burrito) Joel took us back into town to catch a bus to Chetzeltenango or Xela (pronounced Sheyla). It wasn't as squishy as the van from Antigua to Pana, but the road was so curvy. I got a bit car sick so that wasn't too fun. There was a lot of scenery though.
*There are pine trees in Guatemala. This was so shocking to me. I guess I just had in my head that it should be tropical jungle type stuff.
When we arrived in Xela we set out to find some food. What we found was a parade of an all girls school marching band and "flag twirlers".

The only thing we could find that was open to eat was McDonalds. Go figure. I never eat McDonalds unless I'm in a foreign country.


Well I'll finish sometime. Not much left, but I've got to get to my camping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment