Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Types

People are often categorized into types. Type A, Type B. The gym type, the bookworm type, the silent type, the outgoing type, etc. And people claim they have a type when it comes to dating. But as I've gotten older, I've found that my "type" isn't what I think it is. And as I'm now 32, that "type" hasn't been working for me, so maybe I need to look at different types.
I think we limit ourselves when we think we can only be with one type of person. People have so much to offer! Maybe there are a few types out there that just aren't going to work and those are usually pretty obvious. If you're the bar hopping type, smoking type, cursing like a sailor type, I am very confident we just aren't going to work. But if you are the gym type and I'm not, we could still work. If you like to read self help books and I don't, we could still work.
I have tried in the last few years to branch out from my "type" and give people I wouldn't usually consider a chance. Some of them have been great, others not as great. But it has taught me that I shouldn't limit myself by what I think is going to be perfect for me. I also shouldn't short change myself or put myself down by saying he's too good for me. He's too handsome, he's too smart, he's too successful. I am pretty and smart and successful too. Maybe not in the same way, but who wants to be with someone who is just like them? BORING.
I am willing to give them a chance and hopefully they are willing too, and if we were all a little more willing, maybe we would find more success.

No comments:

Post a Comment