Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The color of change

My 5th graders are writing color poems this week. We read Hailstones and Halibut Bones written by Mary O'Neill and illustrated by John Wallner. Then they had to come up with their own words for a color of their choice. They have to describe what it sounds like, tastes like, what emotion it is, what it feels like, what it looks like and smells like and then put those words into a free verse poem. I decided to I would do it too. I started on words for all the colors last week and today I chose orange for my color.
As I was working on my poem most of my words relate to Autumn which is my favorite season, but I still couldn't come up with another emotion word for orange, so of course I polled Facebook. As I came to the end it popped into my mind that orange is the color of change. I don't know that that is an emotion of that it fits into any of the other categories, but that's definitely what it is. The color of change. Out with the summer, in with the fall and soon it will be winter. We have seasons in our lives and change is inevitable. The other emotion words were anticipation, excitement, frustration, energy, joyful/happy, ecstatic, cautious, bold and wild. I love those words paired together with change. They describe what change is and how it makes us feel. I hope I can be bold, excited and full of energy as I face the changes that come into my life. That I can anticipate happy joyful things and deal with frustration and caution in a productive way.

1 comment: