Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Hiking thoughts

I went hiking with some friends last night. At the top my one friend said something about foreordination and that we are foreordained to make dumb decisions (basically). Her sister and I disagreed with her and then we just let it be. It's been bugging me today. As I drove to work I thought about it and I think she's got her definitions crossed somewhere. Her argument was that God knows what we are going to choose. True. But the way she was making it sound was that we are destined to make poor choices and there is nothing we can do about it. We are foreordained to be who we are. I think it was the foreordained that bugged me. As I thought about that word this morning I thought about what ordain means and how we use it in the church. We ordain men to the priesthood. They are called and set apart and given those responsibilities. I figured that to foreordain would mean to set someone apart for something great, like we set them apart for the priesthood. Why would got set us apart to make crappy choices? It just didn't add up to me. So I looked up foreordination when I got to work this morning.
"In the premortal spirit world, God appointed certain spirits to fulfill specific missions during their mortal lives. This is called foreordination. Foreordination does not guarantee that individuals will receive certain callings or responsibilities. Such opportunities come in this life as a result of the righteous exercise of agency, just as foreordination came as a result of righteousness in the premortal existence."

"The doctrine of foreordination applies to all members of the Church, not just to the Savior and His prophets. Before the creation of the earth, faithful women were given certain responsibilities and faithful men were foreordained to certain priesthood duties. As people prove themselves worthy, they will be given opportunities to fulfill the assignments they then received."

lds.org

Just because we are foreordained to something, doesn't mean it's going to happen. We still have our agency. As we were discussing it, it just sounded too much like "I have no choice, I can't help it, God already knows what I'm going to do". Seems like a cop-out to me.

I'm going to continue to study this, but I'm feeling better about my initial thoughts on the discussion. Our choices to matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment