Friday, April 22, 2016

Comparison is the thief of joy

I read a friend's blog post last night. It was well written, full of insight and simply put, beautiful. I went to bed shortly after reading it and as I lay there in the dark I found myself comparing myself to this friend who wrote this blog. And I was coming up short. Very short. I don't write as well as she does, I am not as spiritual as she is, I don't accomplish as much in one day as she does, I'm not as close to my family as she is, and on and on.
And then I caught myself. And I scolded myself. It's not fair to compare myself to anyone else. I am not her. I am not supposed to be her. I am supposed to be me. I haven't lived her experiences. I don't see her daily struggles and shortcomings.
It's good to look up to people, see their good qualities and aspire to be better. But it's a fine line to walk. When your admiration for another turns to tearing yourself down, it is no longer beneficial.
I think that was one reason it was time for me to move on from the singles ward. It was just so chuck full of super amazing women. My peers, in similar life stages, and all I could see was how much more awesome than me they were. They are spiritual(huge right there, they always had the deepest and most inspiring thoughts and insights into the gospel) and they are kind and crafty and smart and well spoken and accomplished and on and on. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. And that right there should have told me something, we all have something to offer, but it was hard not to feel that I didn't quite measure up.
Now I face different struggles, feeling invisible and not needed in my new ward, but I'm working on that. And I don't find myself comparing myself. I think mostly for two reasons. 1. I don't know anyone so I can't really compare anything. 2. They are quite obviously in a completely different stage of life from me.
So as a reminder to myself. You are enough. Can you do better? Yes. But just focus on doing better than you did yesterday and not doing better than Sally did yesterday. The only fair comparison is between the person you were and the person you are and the person you can become. 

2 comments:

  1. I tried to "like" this blog entry...but there's no like button. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the envy of others and you just don't know it! Thank you for being you!!

    ReplyDelete