Saturday, April 6, 2013

How do we say goodbye?

How do we say goodbye when we never want it to end?
Why can't we just pretend there'll never be a goodbye or farewell my friend, why must this be the end?
One day we'll meet again, till then we say goodbye.
These are the words to a song our Swing Choir always sang at the end of their shows. When I was a Senior I cried my eyes out while they sang it.
I don't like goodbyes. They are sad. I just don't like them. I discovered this weekend that I don't even like to watch other people say goodbye.
Now I'm not talking, I'm saying goodbye to my family when I leave after I've been visiting. Sometimes it can be a little sad and depending on the circumstances I might shed a tear, but in general I'm okay after a weekend with the family.
I'm talking goodbye's to people you have a good chance of never seeing again. It happened a lot on the mission. You're in an area you build relationships with members and investigators and then you get transferred. It's a part of the mission, a part of life, but that doesn't really make it easier.
I was in my first area for 5 transfers. 5 transfers! That's a long time. Especially for a sister (although not as long as some sisters I know). We got transfer calls on Saturday night and I didn't tell anyone at church I was being transferred. Then on Monday night I found out we wouldn't be having FHE with my favorite members and recent converts Fabian and Jacqueline because they had gone out of town. I had to tell them goodbye over the phone. I think that was an even worse goodbye.
Noche de Hogar (FHE) with Fabian and Jacqueline 2007
Now, five and a half years later, they are here in the United States for a visit. If I thought that goodbye in the Canary Islands was tough, it was nothing compared to the goodbye I had Friday night. Basically I was a walking puddle of emotions. To see them here, to go to the temple with them and to be able to interact with them now that I can actually speak their language was a blessing I never could have imagined and then to have to say goodbye, well, you might as well just rip out my heart and stomp on it a little.

I was not "their" missionary, but they have a special place in my heart. What a blessing it was for me to serve a mission and to get to know so many wonderful people; members, investigators, and missionaries alike. They are some of the best friends I have.
Noche de Hogar (FHE) with Fabian and Jacqueline 2013
Until we meet again, I love you Fabian and Jacqueline!

1 comment:

  1. Aww! It looks like you had such a great time with them! John and I got to go to a wedding in 2009 in SLC of one of the sisters he baptized in Brazil that was marrying a Utah native. That was a pretty cool experience. Although I can't relate anything from the mission field... saying goodbye to all your Jr. High friends when you move away during a very "dramatic" time of your life is pretty rough. :) But as you can see, that wasn't a REAL goodbye, because we're still bugging each other. ;) Miss you my friend.

    ReplyDelete